Swift Creek Mill Theatre, Inc. possesses a most extraordinary mission: (a) it is the custodian of a building that is on the National Historic Registry (built as a grain mill in 1663); and (b) it has been, since 1965, a major cultural presence in the tri-cities area (Petersburg, Colonial Heights, and Hopewell, along with the counties of Chesterfield, Prince George, Dinwiddie, and East Henrico) through its acclaimed general public and children’s theatre presentations.
In pursuit of its custodial duties and responsibilities for the historic Swift Creek Mill, the corporation adheres to all requisites of the National Historic Registry and will only initiate modifications to the building for theatrical or food services purposes (the building also has two restaurant areas) if they fall within Historic Registry guidelines.
To fulfill its artistic mission, Swift Creek Mill Theatre, Inc. is dedicated to providing the adults and children in the area mentioned above with professional theatre through the production of plays (both traditional and new) representative of the best of drama, comedy, musical theatre and children’s theatre and through training local young, potential theatre practitioners
To achieve this mission, Swift Creek Mill Theatre will:
- present a general main stage and children’s theatre season of the highest possible quality each year to expand and encourage the growth of cultural awareness and acceptance in Southside Virginia;
- offer these theatrical opportunities at a attractive ticket prices (with special rates for school children and adult groups);
- create positive educational opportunities to area school children through the production of plays that coincide with yearly SOL requirements in literature;
- support the local economy and theatrical community by hiring its directors/performers/musicians/technicians from the local area; and
- program a Youth Theatre Summer Camp season in acting, voice, movement, and stage design.